15 January 2010

When This Security Thing Goes a Bit Too Far





I’ve been to some pretty hairy places in my life – Southeast DC, the Mexican border towns Matamoros and Nuevo Laredo, the South Side of Chicago, hell – I even lived in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea for a year – the place that ranks just above Baghdad as the most dangerous place on Earth.

As we plan for our World Cup trip to South Africa, there’s an endless string of security warnings about crime and even threats of terrorism. But, I’m not worried. If I could survive living in Papua New Guinea and gun-loving Texas, I can handle South Africa.

But give me a break.

World Cup 2010 football fans offered personalised stab vests

Football fans planning on going to the World Cup in South Africa are being offered stab vests in their team's colours.

The vests are being sold online by London-registered firm Protektorvest.com and can display any flag of a fan's choosing.


Maybe a little too much.

But, the big question for us – US or Australian flag?

1 comment:

Ed said...

Damn good question, Drew. I think you should go with U.S., since I think it actually might be less of a stabbing risk now.