04 June 2010

A House Divided





Ok, I once again changed the name of the blog - very clever Herrmann but we don't have to go blue.

Tonight Australia time, the USA plays the Socceroos in the final pre-World Cup friendly. I'm staying up to watch the kickoff at 10:30 pm Melbourne time (7:30 am God's Time in the US).

And, I'll be rooting for America. (double meaning in Australian).

I moved to Australia nearly five years ago. Our two young boys are dual citizens (does that make them "Ameristralian" or "Australican?" I'm an Australian Permanent Resident and will send in my citizenship application this July.

I've even worked for both the Australian and American governments during my career.

The genesis for this entire trip was a ticket application I sent in for four American expats to follow Australia in the World Cup - and we won.

Little did we know that later there would be more World Cup tickets than for a Mississippi Tent Revival.

And, Mike and I will be at all three Australia games and only one USA game - but I can't cheer against the Red, White, and Blue.

So, let's see how Donovan, Howard, Beasley, Altidore, Bocanegra, Bradley, Dempsey, and Onyewu do against Bresciano, Cahill, Emerton, Kennedy, Kewell, Neill, and Schwarzer.

How ever it turns out, it's a meaningless game that just designed to prepare each for a decent World Cup run.

But, it'll be fun to watch.

No comments: