05 June 2009

Australia vs. Qatar



Hopefully, the game's not here.


Beginning at 2 am Melbourne time Saturday, Australia plays Qatar (pronounced KA-tar, not cut-ter) to secure the first official spot in the 2010 World Cup. Why this game is being played so damned late in the night Aussie time is beyond me - and don't tell me it's because of the heat - it's a f'in desert.

The game is getting a fair bit of coverage here in Australia, but not nearly as much as it should, especially since the Aussie celebrated like a 16 year old boy at his first strip joint when they beat Uruguay in 2005 to make it to Germany 06.

I actually agree with Australia star striker Tim Cahill about the apathetic Australians:

"I don't listen to the criticism. I am sick of it, people who are criticising us in the situation we are in, purely because we are one point away from qualifying for the World Cup.

"People can't be grateful for the schedules we have got and how hard we work, domestically and internationally, to give everything to our country. People who criticise are very fickle and forget how hard it is to qualify for the World Cup. It's the media who want to build things up and for me it upsets me and makes me angry and the best thing is just to play football and hopefully do the business."


I'll be cheering from the Aussies to put this thing to bed so they can prepare for South Africa 2010 and not be jerked around. Plus, Daddy's really looking forward to seeing the Australians play Japan on June 17th at The G.

3 comments:

Tezza said...

Drew, Drew, Drew,

1. Its called Time Difference. The games are played at a time determined by the home team.

2. The celebrations on Nov 16 2005 were absolutely fantastic and I make no apologies. I was there.

3. It is a critical media who give Tim and the team this impression. The Grass roots fans by and large are very happy with where we are and how we got here.

4. I will be in Sydney and Melbourne over the next 2 weeks to cheer the boys on to SA. And there will be a small contingent in Doha tomorrow night as well, including a lady who turns 71 tomorrow, and all she wants for her birthday is Qualification.

5. Keep your eye on kickoff.com.au for meet up place and come in and have a beer.

Ed said...

Hopefully they'll do better than we did against Costa Rica. WTF was that?

Just be glad you don't have to go to Qatar, Drew, although Mike's and my fine alma mater has a campus there now.

Imagine: Qatar Aggies.

Ed said...

Oh yeah ... hm. Weird.

Meh.