18 June 2009

You Cannot Stop Tim Cahill, You Can Only Hope to Contain Him


And Japan didn’t.

In front of nearly 70,000 fans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground – Australia came back from a 0-1 halftime deficit to see Tim Cahill score twice in the second half to top Japan 2-1. With the victory, Australia now sits atop the Asian qualifiers for the World Cup.

I made my way to The G well before kickoff – arriving at 7:30 pm for a late 8:20 pm kickoff – just to take in the atmosphere. Melbourne has a pretty sizeable Japanese student population – and they came out to support their team in force.

But, um, it was a little unstable.

I saw not one, but two young Japanese male fans dressed as…um…well, there’s really no other way to say it…

Kamikazes

It was very, very unstable – and I think I did a triple take.

Is 65 years a little too soon?

Anyway – the game was great, the atmosphere terrific, and I am now even more excited for the South Africa trip. I was sitting in the nosebleeds with several friends – without Herrmann of course – he had a “conference” for the “tourism industry” and “couldn’t make it.”

Whatever.

I had the 1974 retro Australia jersey – the first time the team played in the World Cup and an Aussie soccer scarf I bought back in 2006 when Australia played Greece in a pre-Germany 2006 friendly. I can’t wait to wear them again.

I’m fully onboard the Aussie bandwagon and can’t wait for South Africa.

Oh, and one other thing to the FGOC guys. I say we offer a few ground rules for the World Cup.

#1: There will be an official one beer penalty for anyone that participates in the Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi cheer. Terrible.

2 comments:

Ed said...

Nice!

I have to take issue with your Aussie(x3) Oi(x3) penalty. One beer is much too kind.

Anyone who does that within earshot of me will get punched in the throat.

Tezza said...

Welcome to the bandwaggon Drew.

It was a sensational night Drew. Great turn out from the Melbourne supporters and a number of us who traveled. 70k on a Wednesday night for a dead rubber is impressive. Super Tim has taken over the mantle as Australia's best expert in my opinion.
Oi Oi Oi is officially banned by the Green and Gold Army supporters. That's for wig wearing Fagatics