02 September 2009

The Other Football Starts



We all agree that all of us here at FGOC love soccer. We are all going to the World Cup in South Africa next year to cheer for our favourite teams.


But, since we’ve established that despite most of us living overseas and adopting the world game, we’ve also established two other things.


We’re Americans.


And…


We’re Assholes.


So, I bring you the first weekend of College Football season in all its glory.


Last year, I lived in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and saw very, very little college football, but that will change now that I’m back in Melbourne with a (somewhat) proper Internet connection and Foxtel cable that beams college football games to my little home in Moonee Ponds.


Now, despite me spending four years at the stellar institution of higher learning called Southern Methodist University, my blood runs Razorback Red. You can take the boy out of Arkansas, but you can’t take the Arkansas out of the boy.


The other three guys from FGOC went to some place called Texas A&M University – a former all-boys military school in BFE East Texas.


These two football teams play in exactly one month to renew a rivalry that’s been dormant since 1991 – my first year at that football powerhouse SMU. Plus, the game is at the crappy new JerryDome in Hoover’s hometown of Arlington, Texas.


I’d like to put out there an offer that the four of us try to make the game a little more interesting with a little wager – because both of our teams suck this year and have no hope of playing post-season football. Maybe having to sing the other team’s fight song at a South Africa bar in 2010? Extol the virtues of the winning team throughout the college football season on the blog?


Interested to hear other ideas – and GO HOGS!

2 comments:

Ed said...

I say bring it on, Arky.

Worse, kids, he didn't even go there. Does this mean I can complain about you the way I complain about 90% of Texas fans? Just don't start referring to Arkansas as "we," Drew, because then we'll (Scott, Mike and me, but particularly me) will give you serious shit.

I also cannot fuckityfucking wait until tonight, when college football kicks off. T minus 8 hours and 40 minutes. Bring it!

Drew said...

Well, we all know why I didn't go to school there. I wanted a half-decent education and to get out of that God-forsaken place. The idea of being a country lawyer with a wife named Misty didn't really appeal to me.

Since Arkansas doesn't have sh*t for professional sports and only one major college team - Arkansas it is. Plus, who the hell can root for the SMU Mustangs?