30 October 2009

We suck at blogging

So wow, we here at Four Guys, One Cup have been pretty crap about blogging. A shout out to Kossack Aethelstane, who called me out over at DailyKos, giving me a friendly nudge to update this damn thing.

Here’s why: Mike’s perpetually “busy” (yeah right); Drew’s got two young kids; and Scott’s “in loooooooove” or some such bullshit, which has clearly removed his testicles and the will to blog about manly things like sports, beer and shit talking. What a dick. Next thing you know he’ll be wanting to bring a girl along on the trip.

As for me, well, I’m just a lazy ass. I haven’t even really kept up my blog that well. But then again, I’ve been sick.

When last we spoke, I was blogging via my iPhone from the friendly confines of RFK Stadium here in Washington, having just watched the Yanks pull of an incredible come back to tie Costa Rica, 2-2. I was standing in the rain, and I haven’t felt 100 percent healthy since then. Sure, there was the hangover on that Thursday, but from that Friday I got sick with something — I’m not going to call it H1N1, but perhaps SARS. I’m old school.

So yeah, now we wait to see who else from CONCACAF gets to go, if anyone. Costa Rica plays Uruguay, the fifth-place South American side, on 14 and 18 November for the right to head to the big dance. (Am I allowed to use the term “big dance” in a non-March Madness context? I await my cease-and-desist from the NCAA.)

On the planning front, it appears Drew and Mike may have some inroads into accommodations in South Africa. I won’t spoil it or jinx it here, but I’m cautiously optimistic. It really is creeping up on us. In just over a month we’ll know who Australia is playing — and, more important, where and when. And, as you can see from our trusty countdown clock over there, we’ve got just 223 days and some change until the big day.

I’m monitoring airfares from Washington, but they’re still pretty high. I suppose everyone’s going to jack them up around the World Cup. But we’ll see.

Anyway, happy Friday (even though it’s already Saturday for ¾ of FGOC) and we’ll be back soon.

No comments: