08 October 2009

And the papers want to know whose shirt you wear...

Six days from now, I’ll be standing at The Bobby to cheer on the U.S. national team in its final World Cup qualifying match, against Costa Rica.

This will be fun.

I will be drunk. Probably.

Anyway, I feel it’s time for me to break down and purchase a jersey. I know, I know. Wearing a jersey is douchey enough, but I follow this rule: Only wear a jersey to an actual sporting event, and only wear the jersey of a team that’s actually playing.*

Here’s the rub, though: The U.S. kit sucks.



How plain-Jane, batshit boring is that? Plus, I’ve no idea whose jersey I’d wear. I’m not into any one player so much that I have to have his jersey.

So I’ve decided to go old school. Here are three good ones from the olden days:


1930 World Cup



1959 Pan American Games



1950 World Cup

I think 1950 is my favourite. First, it’s a cool, simple jersey. Second, the United States upset England in an epic match that year. So, mojo.

Suggestions?


_____________
* Also permissible, but only for soccer, is wearing the club jersey of a player who’s playing in the national team game you’re attending. For example, one could wear a David Beckham LA Galaxy jersey to an England game. If Beckham’s playing.

1 comment:

Drew said...

I vote for the 1950 kit - classic and a lot of history.

Hopefully, whatever they introduce before the WC will be ok b/c we've all got to get one.

I still want the Alexi Lalas 1994 shirt. Delightfully tacky.

http://www.theoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/lalas-1994-world-cup.jpg