27 May 2009

Argentina

I realized that I inadvertently reviewed the Axis powers in my last post. Cool. Well, since I did that, I might as well review a country where many of their war criminals went to hide after the war. Hello, Argentina, where Nazis and Jews are both welcome!

Now, when I think of Argentines, the first four that come to mind are Manu Ginobili, the Perons, and Jorge Luis Borges. I only like one of those four. However, I'm willing to overlook that, b/c the country kicks ass. If I could visit just one SA country, it would be Argentina in a landslide. Such diverse geography, amazing food, beautiful women, great wine, and a laid-back lifestyle. Plus, they gave us the tango and empanadas. I love this country. Did I mention that they have the highest consumption of red meat in the world? What's not to love.

I remember WC 2006, waking up early to go watch Mexico/Argentina at Fado in Austin. I was feasting on Guinness and an Irish breakfast (which I expensed to 3M). Some dude from Mexico walked in with one of those stupid soccer scarves draped over his shoulders, proclaiming his love for his homeland. I eavesdropped on their conversation later, and realized he didn't know jack shit about soccer (and this is coming from a guy who doesn't really know that much about soccer). I cheered with glee when whatshisnuts made that amazing sideways kick to demoralize the Mexicans. Heck, the next week when they played Germany, I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed if they had won. (Why do I like the Nazi countries so much? What the fuck is wrong with me?)

Anyway, I will be rooting for the Argentines hard-core in Suthefrika. I think they should make a bet with the UK. Whichever team goes furthest in WC 2010 gets control of the Falkland Islands forever. Done. No more stupid, pretend wars over them. That would motivate the Argentines to bulldoze through the Cup, bringing it back to this side of the Atlantic. Hell, I may change my allegiance right now. Fuck it, it's official. After the USA, I'm pulling for Argentina! Viva la...whatever.

Keep on keepin' on...

1 comment:

Drew said...

Nice post on Argentina.

I saw them play Australia in an international friendly back in 2007.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=223016&&cc=3436

Was great to see such a world class side right here in Melbourne. Messi was awesome and it was cool to see those sweet unies.

Hopefully we can see the Maradona-led team in South Africa.