19 May 2009

My World Cup Memories

Being a native American, as opposed to a “Native American”, soccer was the fourth or fifth most important sport for me growing up. Baseball, football, basketball, then hockey and soccer.

I tried to play soccer during that post-NASL heyday. But, living in crappy Arkansas, we didn’t exactly have much of a training program for future Pele’s.

For some reason, I remember the 1986 World Cup happening in Mexico, and I even watched parts of the 1990 Cup in Italia – mostly as I had a friend that was really into it.

Like most Americans my age, the World Cup really meant something when it came to our shores in 1994. I was a 21 year old Washington, DC intern living in a hovel with three friends from Arkansas. We had the sweet Sega World Cup 94 video game (Bicycle Kick!), we played the World Cup drinking game at the Briskeller*, and we watched the games on Univision just to get the dude Andres Cantor yelling "¡GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLL!" and hear him say “Alexi LAAAAAALAAAAS!” Even though DC was a host city, I could never get tickets.

I watched the 1998 France Cup but thought it was BS that the French won that year – I guess they couldn’t find the white flags and thank God they didn’t play the Germans.

In 2002, for Japan/South Korea, I watched from Dallas sports bars in the middle of the night drinking as much as possible until 2 am, then starting again at 6 am to get around the Texas drinking laws. *Then* having to go to work with a mighty buzz.

And in 2006, I was in Australia, once again having to watch games in the middle of the night, once staying up to watch both the US and Australia lose, then walking around like a zombie the next day at the office. The US sucked and the Australian bandwagon was in full effect*.

But, in 2010, I’ll be there in person and I can’t wait. We’re adopting the Aussies (well, I should be half Aussie by then, so not really adopting) and cheering for our homeland - the USA. I’ll go for England while the others follow their own favourite Euro team.

*Will explain World Cup drinking game at a later date.

* Will explain the Australian sports bandwagon effect at a later date, or Herrmann or Hoover can explain.

3 comments:

Ed said...

You know, I barely remember World Cup '94, even though I played soccer through junior high. (Not that I was any good.) I think I was more consumed with being a senior in high school and where I was going to go to college at that stage.

I do remember the hubbub, though. I was in Dallas, another host city and also the worldwide broadcast centre for some reason.

Ah, but those heady days in 2002 - nights at Trinity Hall (especially for the Brazil game - yowza! those fans), afterparty at Drew's loft (mostly so we could keep drinking after 2 a.m. last call), home to shower and, um, stuff ... over to Martin Fabricio's for kegs & eggs before the USA/Mexico match.

That Thursday-Saturday I slept maybe 4 hours. I don't think I've ever been as zombied out at work before or since. At least we were all in it together.

Alan Parker said...

There are very few truly worldwide sporting events that capture the imagination of millions of people, in fact I think that there's probably only two that do it on a mass scale - The Olympics and of course, the beloved World Cup.

As a Brit, I can tell you that the country damn near stops and emotions run very high. Italia 90 was my first big tournament, but I didn't watch USA 94, mainly as England didn't make it. Saw 98 and 2002 from London and watched Australia go soccer mad while I was in Sydney for the 2006 world cup.

I am looking forward to next year's world cup because I'm a football fan first and an England/Villa (All hails the two Brads!) fan second. The chance to see the best footballers in world all in one place is amazing. I'm just hoping that England make a good showing of it this year!

Ed said...

Ah, yes, Villa - a lovely club with a good ol' American goalie.

I hope England does well, too, but as a France partisan I have to hope you go down in flames. No hard feelings, mate.